Leer esta página en español
Welcome to Law as a Second Language®! The mission of Law as a Second Language® is to facilitate comprehension of the languages and terminology of law and promote multilingual, multicultural legal literacy.
Visitors can explore various dimensions of the terms and phrases of law:
- language and function;
- alternative spellings;
- abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms;
- origin, manner, and change of usage;
- antecedent terms and phrases;
- metaphors, metonyms, and other figurative expressions;
- transcriptions and transliterations;
- translation equivalents;
- false friends;
- definitions; and
- ontologies and taxonomies.
Semantic MediaWiki provides the collaborative tools with which registered users can create and edit pages (form in English with example, formulario en español con ejemplo, formulário em português com exemplo).
Better knowledge of legal terminology will help all of us elevate our individual and collective capacities to communicate, educate, and participate in our global community of law. Visit the companion website, Law as a Global Community®, for a collection of resources and materials about law, language, and legal systems.
- Those collaborative tools include categories, forms, templates, and properties. The category How to use this wiki contains information about topics and technologies that are relevant to the use of this wiki. With the form How to use this wiki, registered users can add a topic or technology to the collection (example).
- To register as a user, send a brief introductory message by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Registration of User" as the subject. One of the ways in which registered users can contribute is to submit their comments, questions, and suggestions to improve this wiki (example).